Earth Adventures Head Summer Camp Counselor – 1 Position
The Head Summer Camp Counselor is responsible for leading the Earth Adventures and Adventure Club summer camp programs and will assist with planning, developing, and facilitating those programs.
The position is located at Rock Springs Conservation Area. The Head Summer Camp Counselor coordinates, plans, and leads the Earth Adventures and Adventure Club summer camps for the Macon County Conservation District, including overseeing staff and ensuring the safety of campers.
Under general direction, plans, develops, and implements summer camp programs; oversees camp counselors and campers; coordinates with other counselors and staff; and communicates with parents and guardians.
Application Deadline: Applications due by April 8, 2022
Terms of Positions: Approximately May 16 through August 26, 2022. Position is 40 hours per week. Monday through Friday. Schedule may include working early mornings and evenings.
Duties: Coordinate and lead the Earth Adventures and Adventure Club summer programs for participants ranging from ages 5-12. Assist with planning, developing, and facilitating summer camp. Supervise and schedule other camp counselors. May include assisting with additional camps and some programming for the public. See full job description below.
Qualifications: Minimum age 21, a valid Illinois driver’s license, and good driving record. Must successfully complete a drug screen and criminal background check. Must have enthusiasm for working with children and possess excellent public speaking skills. Some supervisory experience and previous experience working with a summer camp is preferred. Some college education in a related field is desirable, but not required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License
- Successfully pass a drug screen and criminal background check
- Acquire and maintain CPR and First Aid certifications
- Previous experience working with a summer camp preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Works with the Senior Program Naturalist to coordinate and implement the Earth Adventures and Adventure Club summer camp programs.
- Prepare and implement educational materials for the program.
- Lead youth on outdoor and indoor environmental and historical activities following a daily schedule, with the ability to be flexible and adapt as needed.
- Supervise, support, schedule, and delegate duties to camp counselors, and maintain an open line of communication with the Senior Program Naturalist and Nature Center Manager, reporting any and all incidents, accidents, and hazards as soon as possible.
- Conduct yourself in a safe manner and promote a safe work environment, as well as overseeing the safety of counselors, campers, and volunteers.
- Maintain a high level of dependability, including following instructions, responding to management direction, taking responsibility for own actions, and completing tasks on time.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship with campers’ parents, campers, staff, and volunteers.
- Maintain program records, including incident reports, attendance logs, and sign in/out sheets.
- Meet with parents, volunteers, and other staff regarding areas of concern with campers.
- Administer First Aid if necessary, in accordance with the District’s Communicable Disease policy.
- Work with the Senior Program Naturalist to develop a theme and outline for next year’s summer camp program.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties described above.
- Occasionally may assist with programs other than summer camp.
- Must work around children and general population in public areas.
- May need to resolve differences between counselors, campers, and/or volunteers.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in recreational area settings.
- Exposed to weather conditions including rain and heat.
- Indoor environmental conditions include lighting and temperature.
- Must be able to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Must use good safety awareness and judgment.
- May be required to respond to emergencies.
To inquire with questions, contact:
Alysia Callison, Nature Center Manager
Macon County Conservation District
3939 Nearing Lane
Decatur, IL 62521
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.