Frequently Asked Questions
What is the camp dress code?
- For your camper’s safety in the outdoors, we require that they wear sturdy shoes with closed toes, closed heals, and socks. We also encourage they bring or wear long pants and hats.
- Earth Adventures campers should bring water shoes every day to protect their feet during water activities, and swimming supplies every Thursday for swimming.
Should my camper wear sunscreen and bug spray during camp?
- Since each camp spends time outdoors, we recommend that participants wear sunscreen and bug spray. These must be applied before arriving at camp.
- If your child needs a reapplication of bug spray or sunscreen, please send it with them to camp. You will be asked to sign a consent form allowing counselors to apply the bug spray or sunscreen.
Can campers carpool?
- Yes! If your child(ren) are carpooling with a friend, you must send a written and signed note that informs us who they will be riding with and the date(s) that apply. This is for your camper’s safety.
When and where do I drop off and pick up my camper?
- All camps meet at Rock Springs Conservation Area.
- Children may be dropped off up to 15 minutes prior to the start of camp, and must be picked up within 15 minutes of the end of camp.
- Drop off Earth Adventures and Adventure Club campers at the Information Shelter, located at the north end of the main parking lot. In case of extreme weather, drop offs will move inside Rock Springs Nature Center and a notice will be posted at the Information Shelter.
- Mini Camp and Pioneer Adventure Camp drop offs are located inside Rock Springs Nature Center. Signs will be posted. Adults must accompany minors to their camp room to sign them in.
- Drop off X-treme Camp campers inside Rock Springs Nature Center unless otherwise noted.
- All pick up locations are the same as drop off locations.
What happens if it’s raining?
- All camps, except for some X-treme Camps, will meet rain or shine. We plan indoor activities if the weather is severe.
- If it’s just a little drippy, we may still go outside. So dress appropriately!
- If you do not know if an X-treme Camp is cancelled, call 217-423-7708 for information.
We signed up for Morning or After Care. What are the details?
- Morning Care runs from 7:00 – 9:00am with a fee of $10/week per camper. Campers may be dropped off at any time between 7:00 and 9:00am.
- After Care runs from 4:00 – 6:00pm with a fee of $10/week per camper. Campers may be picked up any time between 4:00 and 6:00pm.
- Both drop off and pick up locations will be at the Information Shelter. In cases of severe weather, pick up and drop off will move inside Rock Springs Nature Center and a notice will be posted outside at the Information Shelter.
Our child will attend camp during lunch. What should we keep in mind?
- Campers in Earth Adventures and X-treme Camp need to bring along a packed lunch.
- Lunches will not be refrigerated or microwaved, so please plan accordingly.
Items that SHOULD come to camp:
- All campers are encouraged to bring water bottles and extra layers of clothing if it’s wet or cool.
- Earth Adventures and X-treme campers should bring sack lunches.
- Earth Adventures campers should bring water shoes every day to protect their feet during water activities and swimming supplies every Thursday for swimming.
- Each camper is responsible for her/his own personal items, so a small bag or backpack is permitted.
Items that should NOT come to camp include:
- Extra snacks, hand-held games, electronic devices, cell phones, pocket knives, personal sport equipment, or toys.